"Vee mehk luv?"

Mid-conversation with myself yesterday evening, I heard myself telling my imaginary conversation partner that there’s absolutely a film for every situation in life. Constantly, I’m reminded of a scene or a line that perfectly illuminates the crux of the moment that has suddenly arisen—the human thread that connects us all, weaving in and out of time and space, collapsing the boundaries that keep us separate. 

I often wonder if this quirk is annoying to others.


“It’s just like in that one film [insert detailed description of film]…”


Or, “It reminds me so much of when Harry told Sally—you’ve seen When Harry Met Sally, right?”


Even the title of this very blog came from a fairly niche film that my family cherishes (Mel Brooks’ first The Producers), meant to be both a private joke and a tongue-in-cheek reference to my favorite topic to peel apart as a writer: love.


Nearly all of my poetry is about love (my debut poetry collection, Un-Re-Quiet-Ed, is coming out in book form this year! More on that later). The writing I’ve been most proud of has been about love. Even my most profound thoughts, in my opinion, have been about love (and God). 


Today, a dear friend said to me,

“Alright, spill the tea. What’s going on with your love life?”

My earnest response:

“Nada.”


But is this what this blog is for? Who’s reading this thing?

“Oh, hello! Question: Do you really want me to talk about my love life?”


I mean, obviously, right?


Let me rephrase the question.


Do I want to talk about my love life here?


It’s kind of tempting, but what’s there to say?


Yesterday, I saw a guy sitting outside of Whole Foods who was wearing regular earbuds (not the ear pod things), and it really turned me on…


Or, at the cafe two days ago, a guy in a Compound t-shirt ordered a latte, not with oat milk, and it really turned me on…

(Oat milk and ear pods, in my opinion, are completely un-sexy. I welcome your objections. Let’s debate.)


I’m writing this at night and it’s getting late and I’m starting to care too little about propriety, so I’ll sign off, for now. 


Until we meet again, here’s an excerpt from a poem, featured in my upcoming debut book which I mention above and will talk of more, later. 



“…My vessel is overflowing with love

and all the love is pouring out.

Who will come to catch what spills

and put to use what God has not given in vain?”

Comments

Popular Posts